Sunday 1 July 2007

My Despair!

I'm indignant!

I've been working in the helping profession for a long time now, and would you credit it? Some people don't listen to what I say, and don't do what I tell them! They come to me full of complaints about how their life is, and I, with my great wisdom learned from books (isn't this the best way?) tell them all the ways they can change. Do they realise how honoured they should be? That stressed mother of 5, or the woman who has lived through a childhood of abuse and fear doesn't have to read all the books themselves! Sometimes people have the cheek to find a way to cope that hasn't been proved by psychologists, doctors or scientists! Even my husband and children don't listen to me! I despair!!


Do you know that some of my patients don't trust me? After I've spent hours studying and tell them about this fantastic (sometimes even evidence based) therapy that will sort them, they metaphorically stick the two fingers up at me, and carry on doing what they usually do, even though it hasn't worked in the past! Where do they get this total mistrust of people from?

OK, so they've maybe spent a lot of time in the past being let down by people who they should have been able to trust, or have had to churn out their story to umpteen well meaning curious professionals in their life, but THAT'S NO EXCUSE! Even I have to admit I have made the odd error of judgement myself in the past, but now I'm perfect and I DEMAND RESPECT!

I also demand respect from conventional medics. How dare they mistrust homeopaths and other new agers! Just because some of us believe in Atlantis, angels and tree hugging! What's wrong with that? And we drone on about energy, auras and vibrations! (see my website http://www.stressalternatives.co.uk). Some of the claims they make are just as unlikely, for example,'cure', 'non-invasive investigations' and 'very mild side effects'.

I blame the NHS because it's free. Bring back charging, and the patient will listen to every last word of wisdom, as each one will have cost them. Maybe we'll then get the trust and respect we truly deserve!

Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please ask me before you comment if you are promoting a product, especially prescription drugs.